AMC picks up 'Mad Men' for a fourth season

jonhamm_madmen_s3_290_001.jpg"Mad Men" will stick around for at least one more year.

AMC announced Tuesday (Sept. 1) that it has renewed the show for a fourth season. The pickup is almost a formality, given the show's record ratings for its third-season premiere and the fact that creator Matthew Weiner signed a two-year deal earlier this year to remain with the show.

"It's been extremely gratifying to see the show develop into such a pop-cultural phenomenon with such a passionate fan base," AMC president and general manager Charlie Collier says. "With this early fourth season renewal, we're excited to let our audience know the captivating world of Sterling Cooper will be back on AMC again next year."

"Mad Men" debuted to 2.8 million viewers, the biggest audience in the show's history, on Aug. 16. AMC says cumulative viewing (including reruns and DVR) pushed the total to 4.5 million. The ratings have tailed off some in subsequent weeks but are still running a good ways ahead of last season.

The cable channel also notes that the series has the highest concentration of "upscale" viewers 25-54 -- those with six-figure incomes -- of any drama series on cable.

Follow Zap2it on Twitter for the latest TV, movie and celebrity news.

Related:

Ratings: 'Mad Men' hits series high, holds off 'Kourtney & Khloe'
'Mad Men' creator signs new deal
'Mad Men' season 3 pictures