'American Idol' Top 4 results: James Durbin, Haley Reinhart, Scotty McCreery - who went home?
Before any results, Ryan Seacrest reveals they got 72 million votes last night, which is the biggest total for any Top 4 ever. Wow. That is staggering. I sincerely hope many of those were for Haley.
Instead of a Bottom 3, we learned the Top 3 - Lauren Alaina, Haley Reinhart and Scotty McCreery. In a shocker, James Durbin was sent home. We sure didn't see that coming. J.Lo was in tears.
I have to say - I thought for sure Haley was toast after Lauren made the Top 3. When Ryan announced that the Top 3 would feature two females, I screamed right out loud and clapped my hands. Even if I didn't like Lauren OR Haley, it is quite a feat that two girls made the Top 3, since two girls haven't even made the Top 4 since Season 6. Bummer about James, though.
Here are some highlights before the elimination:
- James and Scotty perform a fairly wretched duet on "Start a Band." I love Brad Paisley. This is not Brad Paisley.
- Haley and Lauren did a bit better on "Gunpowder and Lead" by Miranda Lambert. They actually sound quite nice together.
- During the girls' duet, Steven Tyler looked like he was getting his own personal lapdance. Ewwwwuh.
- There's a family segment and wow, James' kid is super cute. I got a little teary-eyed when he started singing his ABCs.
- Instead of actually perforing, Lady Gaga "performed" on a video that the Idols watched. That was kinda lame, even if we do like her song "You and I."
- Enrique Iglesias was there. He performed ... something that wasn't "Can't Escape My Love," which is an awesome song and we were sad it wasn't that.
- The Ford Music Video was to "Fireflies" and featured some fun electric special effects.
- Season 6 winner Jordin Sparks was on hand, looking very svelte, with her new single "I Am Woman." She had on a silver short trench and wedges, then whips off the coat for a spangly Tina Turner dress. Hot. I don't love this song, though. It's OK. What did you think?
- It still astounds me Jordin is only 21. She was 17 when she won "Idol." Geez.
So, did the right person go home? We don't think so. But we aren't overly surprised. Only a Scotty ouster would've really shocked us.