Benedict Cumberbatch talks Matt Smith, Tom Hiddleston orgies and 'The Fifth Estate'
Benedict Cumberbatch is a wonderful, hilarious human being. Though he might not be showing off his funny side in his new Julian Assange flick "The Fifth Estate," the "Sherlock" star certainly meant to make people laugh when he took to Reddit for an Ask Me Anything to promote the flick.
As the Q&A period's name implies, the AMA allows for Reddit users to ask a celebrity anything they so desire. One person, at their daughter's behest, invited Cumberbatch over for a proper English dinner the next time he's in Toronto ("Thank you very much. I'll try and create some time next time I'm over there with The Invitation Game. For some English grub with you. No promises, though," he replies), while another asked him who he'll be for Halloween ("The invisible man. Oh, how I love to disappear," was his answer). But the best random question came from someone who couldn't resist grouping Cumberbatch, "Doctor Who's" Matt Smith and "The Avengers'" Tom Hiddleston together.
"Do you, Matt smith, and Tom Hiddleton have cheek bone polishing parties?" hcml11 asks. Cumberbatch's amazing response: "We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend f*** fantasy. Get to work on that, internet."
"Phenomenal," Cumberbatch answers. "Why does Matt have the hammer? Sure it's the wrong household tool? Shouldn't it be a sonic toothbrush with a screwdriver on the end of it? And what's Simon Pegg doing staring at my abundant locks? And where's his right hand?"
Here are some other highlights from the AMA:
- One user asked Cumberbatch whether Assange's criticism of "The Fifth Estate" caused him to second guess making the movie, to which Cumberbatch gave a very lengthy response. When someone else called him out this being an example of why he shouldn't be on Twitter, Cumberbatch responds good-naturedly, "Julian complex important proud to have attempted an interpretation. Film out Oct. 18 #FifthEstate."
- When asked how he keeps secret how Sherlock survived the "Sherlock" Season 2 cliffhanger, he says, "I cry myself to sleep at night. And then wake up laughing."
- Cumberbatch had a lot of love to give for his "Sherlock" and "The Hobbit" costar Martin Freeman. "Well of course Martin will be furious unless I say I owe [my sass] all to him. And believe me, his wrath is more fearsome than any dragons," Cumberbatch writes. After someone else complimented his comedic timing, Cumberbatch answers, "Thank you. I learned from the master, Martin Freeman."
- One user asks, "If I make a brand of pants called 'CumberBritches' will you endorse them?" He responds, "Only if you get me a billboard slot in Times Square."
- When asked his favorite place he's visited: "On an untouched New Zealand glacier via helicopter where I stepped out in trainers, jogging pants, and got out and danced. Or touching the earth after my first skydiving jump in Namibia. Or a balcony in South Africa where I felt the sun on my face after the night I was carjacked."
- The answer of which "Sesame Street" Muppet he'd like to share a scene with is simple: Animal. But considering Animal isn't a member of the "Sesame Street" cast, Cumberbatch had to fix his response to: "Forvie me. Oscar the grouch."
- On his weirdest fan encounter: "Ted Danson at a pre-Oscar party screaming across a floor of people like Leonardo DiCaprio, Ray Liotta, Kristen Stewart, Kirsten Dunst, et al while pushing past them and knocking their drinks. 'OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! IT'S F***ING SHERLOCK HOLMES!'"