Box Office: 'Kick-Ass' gets beat by 'Dragon'
Paramount estimates "Dragon's" weekend numbers at $20 million, just ahead of the $19 million that "Kick-Ass" earned for Lionsgate. Higher ticket prices for 3-D IMAX showings have given "Dragon" a boost.
Many believe that the "Kick-Ass" marketing campaign may have been misleading, as the R-rated movie's promotional spots made it seem family-friendly. Though reviews were largely positive, some very high-profile reviewers found the film's violent fare to be in poor taste.
Final figures will be released Monday, April 19, but here are the estimated weekend numbers:
1. "How to Train Your Dragon," $20 million.
2. "Kick-Ass," $19.7 million.
3. "Date Night," $17.3 million.
4. "Death at a Funeral," $17 million.
5. "Clash of the Titans," $15.8 million.
6. "The Last Song," $5.8 million.
7. "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married Too?" $4.2 million.
8. "Hot Tub Time Machine," $3.5 million.
9. "Alice in Wonderland," $3.5 million.
10. "The Bounty Hunter," $3.2 million.
Follow Zap2it and @cadlymack on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest TV, movie and celebrity news.
Friday good for 'Date Night,' weekend title up for grabs
Box Office: 'Clash of the Titans,' 'Married' slay 'Dragon'
Box Office: 'Clash of the Titans' slays moviegoers with a $26.4 million Friday
'Clash of the Titans' review
Box Office: 'Dragon' conquers 'Alice' with $43.3M debut
Photo credit: 20th Century Fox