Chris Golightly: Booted 'American Idol' finalist says he 'can catch up in one day'

chris-golightly-320-press-conference.jpg Chris Golightly, the "American Idol" contestant who was booted from this year's Top 24 at the last minute for failing to disclose an older recording contract, held a press conference on Tuesday (Feb. 23) morning in Hollywood.

Golightly opened the press conference with a statement about wanting to be reinstated to "Idol":

Thank you very much for your support and interest. It's really sad that I got disqualified ... "American Idol" was an awesome experience. I'm here for a misunderstanding ... There's a lot of controversy going on saying I signed a contract in May. Yes, that's true I did sign it in May 2009 and I was released in June 2009 ... Being on "American Idol" means so much to me ... I love to sing ... and for it to get taken away, it just hurts me so bad. I would really love the opportunity to get reinstated back onto "American Idol" because this is a shot that I rightfully earned. America, if you can email or write or call FOX or Fremantle Media or 19 Entertainment ... and try to get me back on. I appreciate all the emails I get from the fans ... I'm not trying to have a sob story ... I'm trying to have fun.

He then shared with us the document proving that he had been released from his agreement. It was signed June 7, 2009 by Lawrence D. Franklin and Christopher Earl Golightly.

It reads in part:

"I, Lawrence D. Franklin, CEO of Dream Projects Entertainment do hereby officially release Christopher Earl Golightly from the recording agreement entered on Day of May 30, 2009 between Christopher Earl Golightly and Dream Projects Entertainment.  This is an official release for any and all obligation or commitment to Lawrence D. Franklin or Dream Projects Entertainment or any of its members, employees, projects, associates, partners, or artists on its roster."

Golightly was replaced by Tim Urban in the Top 24 last week.

"Honestly, I have been singing all my life. I have written so many lyrics, so many songs ... I am ready to go. I'll catch up. Everything they've done, I can catch up in one day." Golightly told Zap2it when asked if we would be ready to perform with the first group of boys on Wednesday (Feb. 24) night.

Chris took the time to perform part of "Man in the Mirror" at the press conference, which was one of the Idols' choices during Hollywood Week.




What do you think, guys? Should "Idol" let him sing with the Top 24 this week? If they can have a Top 13 last year, we aren't sure why they can't have a Top 13 men this year. It really does look like it was a misunderstanding and that Chris has no reason to be disqualified.

We're actually wondering, if this document signed by Franklin and Golightly and dated June 7, 2009 existed, why would Franklin contact 19 Entertainment (which he did, according to USA Today)? Lawrence also tells USA Today that he was prepared to release Chris and wait awaiting the release documents from 19 Entertainment. Did Franklin just forget about the release document he had signed seven months earlier?

UPDATE
: TMZ is reporting that Franklin has now come forward out of his duty "to do the right thing" and said the release document dated June 7 was phony -- Frankling and Golightly conspired to forge it. Golighty's camp is saying Franklin is lying.

Follow Zap2it on Twitter and Facebook and
Zap2it Andrea on Twitter for the latest movies, TV and celebrity news

Related

Chris Golightly DQ'd from 'Idol' for old contract
Chris Golightly writing a book, 'Orphan'


Photo credit: Chris Golightly site