'Community': Best parody episodes from 'Glee' to 'Law & Order'
6. 'Basic Rocket Science' ('Apollo 13,' 'The Right Stuff')
When is product placement more than just product placement? How about when advertising Kentucky Fried Chicken in the context of "Apollo 13"?
5. 'Modern Warfare' ('28 Days Later,' 'Terminator,' 'The Matrix,' every disaster/apocalyptic movie ever)
Paintball goes horribly wrong at Greendale when the prize proves too good. And Jeff misses the breakdown of society while sleeping. Later paintball episodes ("A Fistful of Paintballs" and "A Few Paintballs More") offer parodies as well, but "Modern Warfare" started the trend and is arguably the best of the bunch.
4. 'Contemporary American Poultry' ('Goodfellas')
Chicken fingers are important. They are so important, in fact, that organized crime is the solution. Abed naturally turns it all into a movie in his mind.
3. 'Documentary Filmmaking Redux' ('Apocalypse Now,' 'Hearts of Darkness')
When the Dean makes a commercial, it doesn't go well. Several breakdowns and a failed Luis Guzman appearance later, and "go Greendale, go Greendale, go Greendale, go!" seems like a great alternative.
2. 'Regional Holiday Music' ('Glee')
What are Regionals anyway?
1. 'Basic Lupine Urology' ('Law & Order')
A "Law & Order" parody has every chance of going horribly wrong and cheesy. Yet somehow this whole thing works and still feels like a "normal" episode of the show.
"Community" Season 5 premieres Thursday, Jan. 2 at 8 p.m. on NBC. What are your favorte parody episodes?