Discovery Channel HQ held hostage by gunman [UPDATE]
A gunman who's suspected to be James Lee is holding at least one person hostage at the Discovery Channel networks headquarters in Silver Springs, MD on Wednesday (Sept. 1), according to news reports.
[ UPDATE: CNN reports that the suspect has been shot by snipers and is in custody. The hostages have been released safely.]
Lee, who has protested against Discovery before, has issued his list of demands, the first of which is below:
1. The Discovery Channel and it's affiliate channels MUST have daily television programs at prime time slots based on Daniel Quinn's "My Ishmael" pages 207-212 where solutions to save the planet would be done in the same way as the Industrial Revolution was done, by people building on each other's inventive ideas. Focus must be given on how people can live WITHOUT giving birth to more filthy human children since those new additions continue pollution and are pollution. A game show format contest would be in order. Perhaps also forums of leading scientists who understand and agree with the Malthus-Darwin science and the problem of human overpopulation. Do both. Do all until something WORKS and the natural world starts improving and human civilization building STOPS and is reversed! MAKE IT INTERESTING SO PEOPLE WATCH AND APPLY SOLUTIONS!!!!
Other excerpts from his demands. The full text can be found on The Live Feed:
- All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants.
- MORE HUMANS EQUALS MORE WAR!
- Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is.
- Immigration: Find solutions FOR these countries so they stop sending their breeding populations to the US and the world to seek jobs and therefore breed more unwanted pollution babies.
- Saving the environment and the remaning species diversity of the planet is now your mindset. Nothing is more important than saving them. The Lions, Tigers, Giraffes, Elephants, Froggies, Turtles, Apes, Raccoons, Beetles, Ants, Sharks, Bears, and, of course, the Squirrels.
- The humans? The planet does not need humans.
- These are the demands and sayings of Lee.
Besides being armed, Lee claims to have an explosive device. One witness inside the building says he saw something strapped to the man's chest. So far, there's no indication exactly how many people are held hostage. Some employees have been able to leave the building.
Officials from the FBI and ATF are currently responding to the situation.
On Twitter, @JDivenere, a Discovery employee who lives in Colorado, tweeted out: "pic my colleague sent of the discovery discovery gunman" and then "I can no longer comment about this situation," with the following picture attached:
Discovery Communications LLC encompasses The Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet, which are known for hits such as "Man vs. Wild," "Deadliest Catch," "Jon & Kate Plus 8," "Meerkat Manor," "Whale Wars," "Cash Cab," "Cake Boss" and "American Chopper."
Story developing ...
Follow Zap2it and Zap2itHanh on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest movies, TV and celeb news.
Photo credits: Discovery, JDivenere/Yfrog