Donald Trump-moderated Republican debate in peril; only two candidates say they're coming

donald-trump-debate.jpgThe Republican presidential debate to be moderated by Donald Trump isn't shaping up so well: Only two of the seven candidates in the field have said they'll attend.

Predictably, Trump is not happy about it, and just as predictably, he is airing his discontent on the nation's airwaves.

Conservative publisher Newsmax is sponsoring the debate, which is currently set to air Dec. 27 on the ION cable network. If it airs, that is: So far only former House speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum have committed to attending. Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman have all declined.

Appearing on Don Imus' Fox Business Network show Friday (Dec. 9), Trump said he would "have to look into" scrapping the debate if the majority of the field stays away.

"We're not seeing a lot of courage, are we?" Trump says, according to the Washington Post. "... These Republicans are supposed to be brave."

Bachmann was singled out for especially harsh comments, as Trump says she met with him four times. "She said if she wins, she would like to think about me for the vice presidency," Trump tells Imus. "... And after all that, she announced she was not going to do the debate. It's called loyalty. How do you do that? It's amazing to me."

One could also argue that not disclosing what was presumably a private conversation is called loyalty. Trump also once again made noise about running as an independent if the GOP doesn't nominate "the right candidate" -- which we can expect to hear a lot more times, since "The Celebrity Apprentice" is back on the air early next year.

Photo/Video credit: Getty Images