'Drive' review round-up: Is Ryan Gosling the new Steve McQueen?
- Slate: "Ryan Gosling's incarnation of the hauntingly lonely Driver is a beautifully realized, complete performance. He understands not just the psychology of the character, but how he fits into the tone and pacing of the film as a whole."
- NY Times: "'Drive' [is] the coolest movie around and therefore the latest proof that cool is never cool enough."
- Hollywood Reporter: "[I]t's a fun, if not exhilarating, ride, one sped along with the help of a wonderfully assembled cast. Gosling makes a bid to enter the iconic ranks of tough, self-possessed American screen actors -- Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin..."
- NY Magazine: "Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Drive'...is every bit as dumb as August's 'Conan the Barbarian' but awash in neon-lit nightscapes and existential dread..."
- IGN: "It's a film that has its finger on the pulse of what's current and in style...[it] has solidified its place as the coolest film of the year...an instant cult classic."