'Fringe' Season 5 spoilers: Five things to know about 2036 in 'Transilience Thought Unifier Model-11'Add to Favorites | Fringe
The premiere, of course, takes place in 2036, with the exception of a terrifying flashback to the last time Peter (Joshua Jackson) and Olivia (Anna Torv) saw Etta. It gives us valuable insight into what the world has become, but leaves plenty of mystery -- particularly regarding those four years between the Season 5 finale and when the team was encased in amber in 2015.
We don't want to give away too much, but we have pulled out five fun teasers that won't ruin the fun for you!
1. There are no more Red Vines. "What is that? Punishment food?" Peter wonders after taking a bite of breakfast. (Seriously... would you eat something called an "egg stick"?)
2. Olivia's absence isn't news. You may have noticed that when Peter, Walter, and Astrid (Jasika Nicole) emerged from the amber in last season's "Letters of Transit" episode, they didn't immediately panic about Olivia's whereabouts. That's because, for them, Olivia had already been MIA. In 2015, Olivia went to New York to carry out an instruction from Walter -- and she disappeared. Days later, Walter was forced to amber himself, his son, and Astrid.
3. The Observers aren't only making life less pleasant for humans (or "Natives" as they're called) but they're actually making it unlivable. Earth air is too oxygen-rich for Observers, so they pump massive amounts of carbon dioxide into the air. The normal human lifespan is dropping into the vicinity of 45 years because they simply can't breathe Observer air.
4. Look forward to seeing Walter and Etta (Georgina Haig) bond right off the bat. The family has always been the heart of the series, and that's never been more apparent than it is in the premiere, as subtle, resonant performances from all the actors help us understand just what's been lost in the 21 years since they last saw each other.
5. Ed Markham (Clark Middleton), the used bookstore owner, is still alive in 2036. He always seems to be involved in the mythology in one way or another, whether it's hooking Peter up with the ZFT Manuscript or helping the team find a copy of "The First People." In "Transilience Thought Unifier Model-11," he'll once again connect Peter with an essential puzzle piece.
Tune in on Friday, Sept. 28 at 9 p.m.