'Glee': More details on Britney Spears, Susan Boyle and Rocky Horror
Murphy tells the critics at press tour Monday (Aug. 2) a little more about the Britney Spears episode and other guest stars like Susan Boyle and Javier Bardem.
In addition, he outlines what's in store for McKinley High's cheerleaders -- particularly Brittany (Heather Morris), Santana (Naya Rivera) and Quinn (Dianna Agron).
Let's break it down:
Kristin Chenoweth and other projects
- It's not a spinoff: "I've always wanted to do something for Kristin, and Kristin is a good, close friend of mine obviously, so I'm writing a half hour musical comedy specifically for Kristin because if you can sing like that, I want her to be the star of her own show where she sings. I can't say too much about it yet. Kristin is so funny. I want it to be adult."
- "I also want to go back and do something like 'Nip/Tuck,' something dark and procedural. I miss that."
- "We are doing the 'Glee' reality series but just for Season 3. We have the auditions and we're keeping it going for another five months and then it'll be on Oxygen next summer. For the third season we'll be adding new characters, and that's what that show will be about."
Britney Spears episode
- "I just started directing it today at 5 [a.m.], which is why I look like hell. She is arguably the most important female [musician] other than Lady Gaga in the last 10 years, so we're sort of doing an episode not only of her music but also her public image. All the kids on the show, many of them went into singing and dancing because of her. At the heart of it, it's a show designed to show off the skills of Heather Morris, who plays Brittany." It was [Britney's] idea. I think she loves what the show's about, paying tribute to pop culture in a very loving, respectful, kind way. She responded to that."
- "Heather's thrilled. It was her dream. She was a back up dancer for Beyonce, and her dream was to be an actress and she's such a great actress because she doesn't know what she's doing in some weird way. She's so natural and funny. I just did a scene this morning with Heather. I think she's got incredible craft. She has a great work ethic. All dancers do."
Rocky Horror episode
- "My favorite thing to do is to torture the boys, and claim I don't know who's going to be wearing those gold lamee briefs because they're now all on diets, they're all in terror that I'm going to tell them that they're the one that has to get naked."
- "We are going to see 'Time Warp.' It's [set for] Halloween. It's the third week in October, it's Episode 5. I'm directing it."
What's in store for the "Glee" characters
- "So I'm directing the episode where [Brittany and Santana will] kiss a couple times. I think the key is to do it a couple times so it doesn't seem forced. I don't think you have to announce a very special episode like back when they did it on 'Roseanne.' It just seems so outdated and archaic to me. As a gay man, I would never do that. I would make it very organic and do it several times and not make it a stunt."
- A Love interest for Sue Sylvester? "I like that Jane Lynch is promiscuous on the show. I think no man can tame her. I haven't talked about [a gay love interest] with Jane, but I think Sue is straight. Although I think that with a couple glasses of red wine, you don't know with Sue."
- "Jessalyn [Gilsig]'s character [Terri] is coming back. She does not want to be divorced and she's decided in the middle 10 [episodes] to seek vengeance by going after someone that would make Will incredibly jealous."
- Kurt's boyfriend has not been cast: "That's one of those parts I think that I have to sort of find an actor that I really love and go after. I haven't found that person yet, but I'm doing it this year."
- "We're sort of committing to making [Santana] the world's meanest cheerleader ever. The Quinn character is back to being a cheerleader later this year, so those two are duking it out to see who will be the Queen Bee of the school. That's their storyline."
- Plans for Brittany: "A lot more comedy, a lot more promiscuity, a lot more typical Heather -- crazy one liners, funny.
- Promiscuity with ... ? "Janitors, everyone."
- "Susan [Boyle] is on the same label as us. I guess she's a fan of the show. She's coming out with a Christmas album, so the story I want to do for our Christmas episode is have Kurt give her some sort of fantastic makeover and have her sing a song from her album on the show. She'll be playing a character."
- No matter what, she won't be singing "I Dreamed a Dream." Murphy: "We did that song already. I don't think I'll give her monologues and arias, but she's a character and I love what she represents. I think what she represents is what the show represents. I'll ask her, 'What are you comfortable doing?'"
- Javier Bardem guest starring: "He requested it. It's in the back part of the season. Javier watches a movie a night, every night. He bought the first 13 [episodes] on DVD and became obsessed. He said it was like crack. He's such a ham, it totally makes sense to me he'd want to sing and dance. I love him. He's such a sweet, sweet guy and very funny. I think he's going to play some demented Spanish rock star/substitute teacher. We haven't figured that out yet."
- "I love that Adam Shankman is doing one, I think that's great. I think he's doing Episode 8 or 9 of the first 10."
- "I'm just now getting calls from big movie directors who love the show. I can't say who they are obviously. I have talked to Baz Luhrmann about it. I love him and he loves the show, but his schedule is so crazy."
What won't be happening (or at least not yet)
- Super Bowl tribute episode: It is NOT Paul McCartney being featured.
- "I have thought about [casting Rachel's dads] but I don't think I want to do it this year and Lea's dream is that Elton John plays one of the dads, which I think would be hilarious. I won't do it this year, I'll probably do it next year."
- Julia Roberts is not guest starring: "Julia is a fan of the show and has visited the kids, but she doesn't work very much. It's enough for me that she stops by and says hi to the kids."
- Did "American Idol" approach him to judge? "Yes, they did actually. I cannot comment on that."
- "Jennifer [Lopez], yes, I would love to do it, but I don't know if this "American Idol" thing is happening and if she can."
- "[Bollywood] is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. That would be fun."
- "We ran into [Reese Witherspoon] at the White House, and she's a big fan of the show. I would love to have all those people on, but at a certain point I don't want it to become 'The Love Boat,' particularly now."
Follow Zap2it and Zap2itHanh on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest movies, TV and celeb news.
Photo credit: Getty Images