'Glee': ReWalk, Brittany and Coach Beiste perform a Christmas miracle
On Tuesday's (Dec. 7) "A Very Glee Christmas" episode, Sue Sylvester ( Jane Lynch) didn't just channel The Grinch, but she actually dressed up like him and stole Christmas. It's about as heavy-handed and obvious as "Glee" gets, so we weren't holding out hope for any real uplifting or sweet moments other than the expected duet between Blaine and Kurt ( Darren Criss, Chris Colfer) and all the other holiday songs.
To our surprise, quirky space cadet Brittany's belief in Santa didn't become just a punchline, but transformed a ho-hum holiday episode into a touching one. Asking Santa for Artie ( Kevin McHale) to be able to walk again is just as selfless as you can get, and when she's told by Fake Santa-Coach Beiste ( Dot Marie Jones) that sometimes he can't deliver all wishes, Brittany's spirit is crushed. Until ...
We have to admit we didn't see the ReWalk coming, and the expression on Tina's ( Jenna Ushkowitz) face when Artie can stand and walk with the exoskeleton doohickey is priceless. We know that whomever she's dating now, this is one of her most heartfelt wishes as well. Brittany's faith got restored. Thanks, sneaky Coach Beiste, for giving us a good cry.
Kurt and Blaine
We'd been waiting to see "Baby, It's Cold Outside" performed on the show. Not only do we love it, but we were hoping for a kiss, something, anything to happen between those two Warblers right after the song ended. Alas, no kiss. Where's the frickin' mistletoe when you need it?
We did, however, get a couple meaningful looks, a touch of chemistry and Blaine admitting that Kurt is probably better than the girl he'll be performing the duet with. What totally broke our hearts is Kurt's confession to Mr. Schue: "[Blaine's] just a friend. On the upside I'm in love with him and he's actually gay this time."
We're being patient since Kurt needs to get used to being out and supported. But we're thinking we've been good boys and girls this year, so perhaps by the second half of the season, we can get a little Klaine or Blurt love? Hear us, Ryan Murphy?
Other highlights and musings:
- Wow, Finn is really holding strong, and we're so glad he laid it on the line for Rachel. It was still hard to hear him say, "I'm officially breaking up with you."
- Brittany: "Even the smallest envelope is heavy for an elf."
- Best things to ask from Santa: Sam - "Chapstick, lots of Chapstick"; Finn - "I want Channing Tatum to stop being in stuff."
- Good on "Glee" for mentioning the McKinney-Vento Homeless and Children and Youth Program. We hope they get some interest and funding from this exposure.
- Rachel's coupon for one song "of Rachel Berry's choosing" is better than George Costanza's Human Fund.
- We think Will's Christmas gift ideas for Sue were great: "Dog robot," "A soul."
Oh, and the ReWalk is real.