Howie Mandel joins 'America's Got Talent'; Scary Spice hosts 'Dance Your Ass Off'
"Yes, David is leaving 'America's Got Talent.' And yes, I believe Howie Mandel is replacing him," NBC Universal Television Entertainment chairman Jeff Gaspin told the Television Critics Association Sunday morning (Jan. 10).
The "Deal or No Deal" host will be stepping in to sit on the panel of judges that includes Piers Morgan and Sharon Osbourne. Hasselhoff had previously announced that he was leaving the summer talent competition show so he could pursue his own series, the details of which have yet to be released.
Over on Oxygen, another switcheroo is happening. The new host of the weight loss-dance competition show "Dance Your Ass Off" is former Spice Girl Mel B.
"After the birth of my second daughter, I wanted to find a fun and effective way to drop the pounds and get back in shape," says Mel B, who replaces former host Marissa Jaret Winokur for the upcoming second season.
"I realized I didn't have to look far to find the answer. Whether I was dancing around the house with headphones on, on stage with the Spice Girls, working on my high energy fitnessDVD or performing eight times a week in my Las Vegas show, I learned firsthand that dancing was the key to shedding off the pounds and keeping them off."
Other Oxygen announcements:
- "Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood" will return for its fifth season on Mondays this coming spring to anchor a new night of original programming that will include the second season of "Dance Your Ass Off."
- "Love Games: Bad Grils Need Love Too" is the new dating show featuring "Bad Girls Club" stars Amber and Sarah (season three) and Kendra (season four) who seek love among 13 eligible suitors. The eight episodes will begin airing in March.
On the Oxygen development slate (all working titles):
- "Fashion Drop" - A game show in which audience members must prove their fashion sense or be dropped literally through the floor in shame.
- "Hair Battle Spectacular" - Competition series in which fantasy hair designers vie to prove their artistry and win $100,000.
- "House of Glam" - Docu series following the trendsetting stylists of the B. Lynn Group.
- "Jersey Couture" - Docu series following a family-run dress shop in Jersey.
- "The Russell Simmons Project" - Docu series centered on the women who run Russell Simmons' many businesses.
- "When Charlie Met Sarah" - Docu series follows Charlie O'Connell and his pick Sarah from his stint on "The Bachelor" and their on-again, off-again relationship that has endured his hard-partying ways and long distance.
David Hasselhoff leaving 'America's Got Talent'
'The Jay Leno Show' leaves primetime in February
'Heroes,' 'Day One,' 'Law & Order': NBC notes from press tour
Photo credit: Getty