FOX chief Kevin Reilly leaving network after 7 years
The network and Reilly announced his departure Wednesday (May 29), a week after the official end to a season that saw FOX tie for second place with CBS among the broadcast networks in adults 18-49. FOX's ratings numbers were flat with 2012-13, despite airing the Super Bowl, as shows like "American Idol" and "The Following" took knocks and only one of its new series, "Sleepy Hollow," could fairly be called a hit.
Reilly says in a statement that he's been talking with his boss, Fox Networks Group chairman/CEO Peter Rice, about leaving "for a while." He'll do so at the end of June.
"With a robust new slate of programming for next season and strength in the FBC ranks, it felt like the timing was as right as it could be," Reilly says. "I couldn't be more thankful to my team -- a group of creative, tireless and fun people whose fellowship I will miss."
No replacement for Reilly has been named yet.
Earlier this year, Reilly revamped FOX's development process to eliminate the traditional pilot season in favor of straight-to-series orders and pickups of multiple scripts before going into production. He also led the network into a more year-round schedule by increasing the amount of original programming in the summer and championed shorter episode orders for serialized dramas.
During his tenure FOX launched "Glee," "New Girl," "Fringe," "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" and "Sleepy Hollow." The network's 2014-15 lineup generated positive buzz for shows including "Gotham," "Gracepoint" and "Mulaney."
Prior to joining FOX in 2007, Reilly was president of NBC Entertainment from 2004-07. Before that he headed up FX and launched the cable channel's slate of original series with "The Shield" and "Nip/Tuck."