Lady Gaga denies Bette Midler rip-off. Still, we suggest 5 more
After a public tongue-lashing from Bette Midler, Lady Gaga wants the world to know that she did not -- as accused -- rip off Bette Midler's mermaid-in-a-wheelchair bit. In fact, Gaga claims she didn't even realize Midler had even done the exact same bit over 30 years ago.
"I had no idea that she did that and I'm a huge Bette Midler fan," Gaga tells Access Hollywood's Billy Bush.
We're not sure how that's possible, but okay.
"...I didn't know that she'd done (it), but I do now and I think it's great."
On Saturday (July 16), Midler tweeted, "Dear @ladygaga if you think a mermaid in a wheelchair seems familiar-it's because it is!You can see it on youtube 24/7-with ME performing it."
Then, receiving no response from Gaga, Midler amped up the rhetoric: "Dear @ladygaga Ive been doing singing mermaid in a wheelchair since 1980-You can keep the meat dress and the firecracker tits-mermaid's mine."
Because we're super-helpful here at zap2it HQ, we've compiled a quick list of five other iconic females Gaga can rip-off/emulate:
1. Britney Spears and the snake: At the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards, a red hot Britney Spears sang her single "Slave 4U" as a ridiculously large Burmese Python slithered around her neck.
2. Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction: Gaga is all about getting attention and fewer stunts accidents in live music history have grabbed more attention than the Justin Timberlake facilitated baring of Janet Jackson's breast during the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show.
3. Madonna's Sex Book: Remember when Madonna was, like, totally shocking and we just had no idea what that crazy chick was going to do next? In 1992, she released a coffee table book chock full of erotic pictures of herself having all kinds of naughty fun with pals like Isabella Rossellini, Big Daddy Kane and Vanilla Ice. Surely, it's time for an updated version -- complete with tie in tour and movie.
4. Sinead O'Connor rips the Pope a new one: Nothing says controversy like desecrating a photo of one of the world's most venerated religious leaders on live TV. Sinead O'Connor did it on "Saturday Night Live" when she ripped up a picture of Pope John Paul II in 1992. Gaga has her choice of folks to offend (more): Catholics, Mormons, Flying Spaghetti Monster adherents.
5. Jennifer Lopez's (or really anyone's) scandal-plagued relationships: When the music side of things hits a slow spell (and it will), nothing keeps one in the spotlight so much as a controversial relationship. Think J.Lo and Ben Affleck or J.Lo and P. Diddy. Or Madonna and Sean Penn or Carlos Leon or Guy Ritchie. Get busy girl -- the sooner you marry, the more secure you'll be knowing you have a nice potential divorce PR bump your back pocket.