Martha Stewart's Chow puppy dies in freak kennel fire!

_saharasboyatalmost7weeks2This is so sad.

One of Martha Stewart's dogs has died in a deadly propane explosion at a Carbon County kennel in Pennsylvania. 

Her Chow Chow -- Genghis Kahn -- was one of 16 or 17 dogs killed in a tragic propane blast that happened during a propane delivery to the elite kennel.

Some of the deceased were show dogs, all were beloved pets. Many terrified dogs made a beeline for the turnpike and the forest. All of those have reportedly been recovered.

To see video coverage of the aftermath and the rescued dogs, click here.

The delivery man was able to toss a few dogs to safety before he himself was burned.

Several police officers also were burned in the process of rescuing dogs.

I cannot begin to imagine the heartbreak all these pet owners are going through.

Martha has put up a memorial to her dearly deceased on her blog.

Dsc00789 And she even twittered about the loss of her beloved Genghis.

To prove that it really is a small dog world, I just found out that poor Genghis' late father, Paw Paw, was the half brother of Prince, the beloved pet of my boss, Joseph Kapsch, executive producer for LA Times/Tribune Interactive and editorial director for Zap2it.com.

The pups shared the same father, Schemer, but had different mothers.

Cuddle your dogs close tonight and be very, very grateful.

Photos: Genghis (Martha Stewart) Prince (Joseph Kapsch)