Martha Stewart catches salmonella from too many turkeys

martha-stewart-salmonella-turkey-thanksgiving-gi.jpg
Turkeys are dangerous -- just ask Martha Stewart. The home-crafting empress came down with salmonella in November after handling too many Thanksgiving birds. Yuck.

Stewart, who was in Miami shopping for art at the time, told the New York Post that she believed her illness came from all of the turkey demonstrations she had to perform in the weeks leading up to the holiday.

"I never get sick, but I came down with salmonella," Stewart said. "I think I caught it because I was handling so many turkeys around Thanksgiving. I was on the 'Today' show, I did a number of other [Thanksgiving] appearances. It really hit me hard and I was in bed for days. It was terrible."

On the plus side, Martha Stewart at least managed to lose some weight, always a tough thing around the holidays.

In this illness, Stewart was lucky. According to the CDC, there are approximately 42,000 reported cases of salmonella poisoning annually with about 400 deaths as a result. Most stricken with the infection suffer diarrhea, fever and cramps. Poultry is a major source of the illness, but the most recent large outbreak was traced to peanut butter.

However you get it, salmonella does not sound like fun.

Photo/Video credit: Getty Images