Matthew McConaughey on 'Inside the Actors Studio': Top 10 things learned in the interviewAdd to Favorites | Inside the Actors Studio
1. McConaughey has an older brother who goes by the name, Rooster.
2. His parents were divorced from each other ... twice. "Married three times, divorced twice," McConaughey says of parents who couldn't live with or without each other.
3. After high school, McConaughey participated in a Rotary exchange program to Australia: "It was between Sweden or Australia. And I chose Australia because they spoke English."
4. Starting out as a pre-law student at the University of Texas, McConaughey switched to film school after two years.
5. How did he get his start in film? "Between my junior and senior year, I met the right guy in a bar," McConaughey relates. That man was Don Phillips, the producer of "Dazed and Confused." McConaughey was deemed perfect for his role the next morning.
6. McConaughey lost 47 pounds to play Ron Woodroof in "Dallas Buyers Club."
7. McConaughey and his wife also met in a bar. A lot of important things in the man's life have happened in bars.
8. Why has McConaughey moved to serious dramas, instead of romantic comedies? He took a break and then said, "Let's go make some movies that I would pick out, that I would see."
9. "I got a call from Steven Soderbergh. Steven Soderbergh never called me before." -- This is why McConaughey is in "Magic Mike."
10. McConaughey calls "True Detective" a "450-page script."