Michael Jackson tribute concert in Wales continuing despite family feuds
Reuters reports that despite rumors of unsold tickets and family squabbles, the Michael Jackson tribute concert "Michael Forever" in Cardiff, Wales, is going ahead as planned Saturday (Oct. 8).
Chris Hunt, head of Global Live Events, which is staging the event, tells Reuters, "If you can get any family of that size to agree about everything then it's a wonderful day. We've got nearly all the family here. A couple of them decided they didn't want to do it and they cited a reason which, to my mind, and indeed to most of the rest of the family, has no logic to it whatever."
Brothers Jermaine and Randy and sister Janet have cited the concert coinciding with the manslaughter trial of Dr. Conrad Murray in Los Angeles as their reasons for not wanting to participate in the tribute concert. Those who are performing include brothers Tito (above, middle), Marlon and Jackie, sister La Toya (above, right) and nephew TJ Jackson (above, left).
Michael Jackson biographer Stacy Brown, who previously wrote for the Scranton Times-Tribune and is a Jackson family friend, tells Reuters, "This [concert] is something they could have done a little bit later when [the trial] was over with or even before this started. This is not about charity. This is about lining the bank accounts of the Jackson family."
Hunt has said a portion of the profits from the concert will go to two charities, the AIDS Project in Los Angeles and Prince's Trust, as well as to a trust fund for Jackson's children.
"Not all the money goes [to charity] because we have investors and they would like to get their money back, and if they get a little bit more than their money back they would be delighted. I don't think it's going to do beyond that," says Hunt.