'Modern Family': Sofia Vergara's 'American' accent slays us
Gloria (Vergara) has finally had it with all the flak she gets for having a thick accent or flat out using malapropisms. She asks for baby cheeses and gets Baby Jesuses instead. Sacredelicious!
When their family arrives at the Dunphy household to fulfill Claire's ( Julie Bowen) Halloween dreams, Gloria (the sexiest, most glamorous bruja, aka "witch," ever) has suddenly dropped her Colombian accent and enunciates as if she were Prof. Higgins' pupil.
It's all so overblown and affected, prompting one Zap2it staffer to comment on Twitter: "'Modern Family': Sofia Vergara's 'American' sounds remarkably like Parker Posey." Yes, get Vergara to a Christopher Guest mockumentary!
In the end, Jay ( Ed O'Neill) makes amends by recounting a touching diner story about how he hadn't even seen her yet but fell in love with the life in her voice. Aww, right? And it's true. Her rather bouncy rhythmic way of speaking is very lively, even if the neighbor mistakes her for a parrot on occasion. And hey, it got her an Emmy nomination.
A few other highlights:
- Phil confessing "I love you so much" into the creepy voice-altering headset.
- The Pritchett-Tucker household uses Food Network recipes for Thanksgiving. Their last? Tandoori turkey.
- Luke telling Manny, "I'm your mother now."
- When Claire looks at Haley's latest skimpy costume and asks, "Are you trying to get candy or Japanese businessmen?"
- Jay's way of not cussing: "This whole thing is a colossal fog cue."
- We weren't crazy about the Mitchell costume plot, but seeing him crouching in the stall in the Spidey outfit was a great visual.
- Phil: "Tell me it was about booze, cheating, physical abuse -- no problem. I'm a monogamous social drinker and Claire only sleep-hits me."
Follow Zap2it and Zap2itHanh on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest movies, TV and celeb news.
Photo credit: ABC