Nathan Fillion, Stan Lee honored at inaugural Geekie Awards
The first ever Geekie Awards took place on Aug. 18 in Los Angeles. Created by self-professed geek Kristen Nedopak, the awards ceremony seeks to honor the independent filmmakers, artists and creators active in the geek world.
It's no surprise then that Nathan Fillion and Stan Lee were awarded top honors during the ceremony. Fillion was named Geek of the Year, while Lee earned a lifetime achievement award. Since Fillion wasn't able to attend the awards show, Samm Levine, Natasha Melnick and Sarah Hagan instead presented the award to Jesse Heiman, who gave his best Fillion impression. Meanwhile, Seth Green presented Lee his award. In addition, the NASA JPL Mars Curiosity Rover team was given the Geek Cred award.
Present at the awards show were Tara Platt, who served as main announcer, and presenters Richard Hatch, Grant Imahara and Magda Apanowicz, among others. Here are the rest of the night's winners:
- Best Geekie Arts & Crafts - One Pumpkin to Rule Them All ...
- Best Geekie Comics & Graphic Novel - COLONUS
- Best Geekie Crowd-Funded - The Goon (Dark Horse Comics)
- Best Geekie Podcasts - A Podcast of Ice and Fire
- Best Geekie Retail Store & Website - The Nerd Machine
- Best Geekie Short Film - Undying Love
- Best Geekie One-Shot - The Record Keeper
- Best Geekie Web Series - Cosplay Piano
- Best Geekie Toys & Games - Takenoko