'New Girl': Does True American lead to true love in 'Cooler'?Add to Favorites | New Girl
Warning: You don't want to read this before watching "Cooler." Trust me.
After a season and a half of ridiculous chemistry and apparent obliviousness, something actually happened between Jess ( Zooey Deschanel) and Nick ( Jake Johnson) on "New Girl." And oh, did it happen!
Not that it was easy to get to the big kiss that ended "Cooler." It took a woman's coat, a girl (guest star Brooklyn Decker) who only liked sad men, strange noises in the hallway, a Nick effigy made out of a melon... It also took a game of True American: Clinton-Style.
Was it all worth it? It's hard to say. The kiss with which Nick surprised Jess at the end of the episode was the kind of momentous event that TV characters often ignore for many episodes, simply ratcheting up the tension in the meantime. There's also that wee issue that Jess is dating Sam (David Walton).
We could be in for some major roommate denial.
What did the kiss mean? It was interesting that it came solely from Nick -- although Jess obviously got into it. That moment was not the product of drunkenness or desperation. They easily could have had a moment and then returned to their rooms.
Instead, Jess and Nick kissed. It looks like this is one relationship that may go somewhere. We can at least hope, now that the chemistry we all felt has been expressed, that the two roommates give us the awesomely awkward romance they deserve and we want.
Funny things that people said before a kiss happened
- "My coat makes me say things like that!" -- Nick
- "I've been trying to get something going with myself for an hour now. It's like a taffy pull on a hot summer's day." -- Schmidt
- "That's it! I'm going to have sex again! Are you two in?" -- Schmidt
- "It's not you. It's the things that you say and the look on your face and... It's you!" -- Nick to Jess
- "I love sad guys, and you seem sadder than most." -- Holly to Nick
- "I'm probably fine. But I also might be dead." -- Jess on the phone
- "Nick, I need you." -- Jess
- "You never listen during pipe talk." -- Nick
- "The game is True American, but with a sexy new twist: Clinton rules. Pick your intern." -- Jess
- "Hey Schmidt, your butt just violated the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act!" -- Jess
- "I'm 10 percent more emotionally fragile than Nick right now." -- Schmidt
- "I'm sorry. You love this small, shiny man?" -- CeCe's date
- "C-minus. You kiss like a d**ned b*tch." -- Daisy to Winston
- "Just kiss me already!" -- Jess, "No, not like this." -- Nick
- "So much weird crap happens in this apartment." -- Neighbor
- "I meant something like that." -- Nick
Was the kiss worth it? Do you want a Nick/Jess relationship? Weigh in down in the comments section!