Nora Ephron: Five great scenes from 'When Harry Met Sally' and more
As a tribute to the Oscar-nominated filmmaker and screenwriter's big-screen legacy, we've compiled five memorable scenes from some of Ephron's biggest movies.
1. "When Harry Met Sally..." (1989): Meg Ryan fakes it for costar Billy Crystal in the legendary "I'll have what she's having" scene at Katz's Deli.
2. "Sleepless in Seattle" (1993): Meg Ryan returns opposite Tom Hanks, who plays Jonah, a grieving widower whose young son is determined that his father find love again -- with the help of radio talk-show psychologist and sympathetic listener Annie (Ryan). Do you have a box of tissues handy?
3. "You've Got Mail" (1998): Ephron darling Ryan teams up again with Hanks in one of film's first forays into social media romance. In the film's final sequence -- in which the electronic pen pals finally reveal themselves to each other -- Ryan's shopgirl tells Hanks, "I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly." (That's why we asked if you had a box of tissues.)
4. "Heartburn" (1986): Food writer Rachel (Meryl Streep) imagines a "Masterpiece Theatre"-style host recounting the disastrous events of her life like the plot of a British period drama.
5. "Julie & Julia" (2009): Food brings Meryl Streep and Ephron together again, with the actress earning an Oscar nomination for her uncanny portrayal of cookbook author Julia Child. "I love to eat," she says in this career-launching scene.