Patton Oswalt vacates 'Beach' role, replacements line up
The comedian was set to star as lazy millionaire heir James in the series, but following a table read Tuesday (April 13), he's no longer going to take the role, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
It's not certain if that means he's leaving the show altogether or if he'll take another part.
In "Beach Lane," the character James is tasked with running a struggling newspaper in the Hamptons. He hires a famous writer ( Matthew Broderick) to help him save it. Kristen Johnston has also been cast in the multi-camera series.
Deadline claims that there are already three names lined up to possibly take over the James role: Nick Thune, Michael McMillian and John Forest.
Of the three, probably the most recognizable is McMillian, who played Fellowship of the Son leader Steve Newlin on HBO's "True Blood." Thune is a stand-up comedian and guitarist who had his own "Comedy Central Presents" special. Forest seems to be a relative unknown who's made guest appearances on "House," "Medium" and "Without a Trace."
In less uncertain casting news ...
- "Friday Night Lights" has cast Emily Rios as goth girl Epyck for a six-episode arc.
- Over on CBS, Austin Highsmith will take a guest role on "Criminal Minds."
- Warren Kole ("24") landed the lead playing Ryker, one of the young backpackers who go on secret CIA missions on The CW's "Nomads."
- TNT's "Memphis Beat" has cast Sunny Mabrey as star Jason Lee's ex-wife in the Warner Bros. police drama.
- Janel Parrish, who played May on "Heroes," will play a popular girl who's friends with the main "Pretty Little Liars" clan over on ABC Family.
Follow Zap2it and Zap2itHanh on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest TV, movie and celebrity news.
Kristin Kreuk gets un-'Hitched'
Mare Winningham gets 'Pierce'd; Lizzy Caplan finds 'True Love'
Zap2it's Pilot Season coverage
Photo credit: Getty