'Portlandia': 5 Things to know about the season 3 premiere
But what sorts of Northwest insanity and '90s nostalgia can we expect specifically? Here are five things to know about the "Portlandia" season 3 premiere.
1. While there are, as always, a variety of sketches sprinkled throughout the half-hour show, the main theme of the first episode is a scheme to take back MTV. And by "take back," Fred and Carrie mean a return to videos and VJs and television not revolving around pregnant teenagers.
2. To accomplish this, our heroes enlist the help of some aging but familiar MTV names -- Kurt Loder, Tabitha Soren and Matt Pinfield. You'll be happy to know that Loder can still be sardonic.
3. The season 3 premiere marks the debut of a new recurring skit from the Portland Milk Advisory Board. Would you drink zucchini milk?
4. You know who can save MTV -- or any television, for that matter? A rich Scandinavian person by the name of Fjohurs Lykkewe. After all, everything on TV is brought to you by Fjohurs Lykkewe. (Hint: Sound it out.)
5. Why bring back MTV? The answer is basically based on the growing-up experiences of the stars. "I grew up on MTV," Fred Armisen told reporters. "I was addicted to it. I watched MTV all the time, and it was a huge part of my life." Carrie Brownstein (unsurprisingly, considering her music background) agreed: "Certainly MTV was an important part of my childhood, and it helped kind of nurture and augment my obsession with music as a kid... I don't begrudge or have any negative feelings towards MTV now. I think it's kind of a different time and a different era, so it's fine."
"Portlandia" Season 3 premieres on Friday, Jan. 4 at 10pm on IFC.