'Portlandia' video: The city goes dark for the Season 3 finaleAdd to Favorites | Portlandia
At the end of "Portlandia" Season 3, the city of Portland will go dark. No, it's not out of respect or sadness. This is instead what happens when no one bothers to pay the power bill for the city.
The result is chaos.
Fortunately, chaos can be really funny when it's on television and not in our actual lives. This makes the darkness-filled season finale of "Portlandia" one big joke that thoroughly works.
It's hard to figure out the plot of the episode (and yes, it has one) from the teaser trailer released by IFC, so here is a brief walk-through of the briefly glimpsed images, interpreted by someone who has already seen the episode.
- The Mayor of Portland (Kyle MacLachlan) takes full responsibility for the citywide blackout. His office really should have paid the bills.
- There is no reason given for the arrival of the Australian survivalist (played by Bill Hader). He just kind of shows up and leads people into the wilderness.
- After leaving office, the Mayor goes missing. It's up to Fred and Carrie (Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein) to track him down -- no matter how dark the man's path has become.
- Kumail Nanjiani works at the power company here. He makes things difficult.
- Yes, people do scream and take off shirts and stuff. No, it's neither a horror film nor a romance. Sorry.
The "Portlandia" Season 3 finale airs Friday, March 1 at 10pm on IFC.