'Pretty Little Liars' summer finale: Is Ezra A? Is Alison still alive? Who else is Red Coat?
The Liars receive several packages from "A" indicating that Mona is dead meat in "A's" magic show. They see that a magic show is taking place in Ravenswood and figure that can't be a coincidence, so they take off to the Land that Time Forgot to chase down the lead.
There, Aria is part of Charlemagne's magic act as a misdirection so "A" can snatch Emily and put her on a collision course with a buzzsaw. But Red Coats, plural, are there to stop the conveyor, with Aria and Spencer each giving chase after one Red Coat.
Aria fights with her Red Coat, who is revealed to be Cece Drake (who is currently wanted for questioning in Wilden's murder after Travis has been working with the police). Cece falls off the catwalk and in the Ravenswood sawmill, but she's not dead -- while the Liars aren't looking, Cece runs off. Way to check that body, ladies.
RELATED: Ian Harding talks with us about whether Ezra really is "A" or not
Meanwhile, Spencer's Red Coat chase yields what Spencer surmises is "A's" lair, documenting their entire lives in separate timelines and containing the computers that "A" uses to monitor them all the time.
Spencer also finds a bank account for a corporation that "A" started (which paid Cece), plus a armoire full of suit jackets, which leads them to wonder if "A" is a man. There is also a timeline for Alison. "A" thinks that Alison's going to be at the Ravenswood Night to Remember celebration that very night.
As the girls head to the celebration, they run into Carla Grunwald, who warns them not to go chasing after "her." She was protecting Alison back when she was housemother at the sorority by using her gift of insight, helping Alison "see" who was threatening her. Grunwald felt something terrible the night Ali went missing and she's the hand who pulled Alison out of the dirt. Ali was bloody and confused, so Grunwald took her to the hospital, but when Grunwald went inside to get help, Ali was gone.
Grunwald tells them Ali doesn't want to be found and that they need to leave Ravenswood before they lead "him" to Alison.
The final frames are of Ezra inside "A's" lair, angrily slamming the armoire door and then the A-tag is of someone in a World War I uniform, complete with gas mask. Do you think that's the real "A"?
Also, we love that "A" has gone corporate. It's not just an A Team anymore, it's an A Corporation. Heh.
RELATED: Some 'PLL' hiatus suggestions
Caleb both literally hops on the bus to Ravenswood. We know that's where he's ending up, but there must be more to him and Hanna in the Halloween special because they haven't ended things yet.
Ashley Marin is released after the charges are dropped, thanks to Travis' testimony about the night of Wilden's murder. She dons a sexy dress and goes off to thank Pastor Ted for her bail money.
Mona is holed up at the River Valley Bed & Breakfast, getting a visit (and an envelope) from Shana. Mona wonders if "she's" OK with it and Shana says, "She doesn't have a choice."
Wren appears to have moved to London and is living with Melissa Hastings, via a shipping document Toby finds when Shana drops it. This seems to confirm that Wren has been working with the Melissa/Shana/Jenna team. Is he also now getting back together with Melissa? That's ... different.
Before the seeming reveal of Ezra as "A" (more on that in a moment), Aria runs into Ezra at a poetry reading they both wanted to attend (Aria missed it because Jake is not hipster enough to like old movies and poetry, but thank goodness he taught her some karate so she could whoop Cece's butt). Anyway, as they talk about their shared hipster interests, Aria plants a big ol' kiss right on Ezra.
And finally, Toby seems to have given up on his mother's murder/suicide, telling Spencer he doesn't want "A's" version of the truth anymore. But we remain suspicious that he'll keep investigating.
RELATED: Why Ezra is not 'A'
Thoughts & Tidbits
- Do you really think Ezra is "A"? Based on the final frames plus the promo for the Halloween special, it would seem that the show is saying he is. But we call shenanigans. This smells like a giant misdirect -- a "leger de main," if you will. The last scene could easily be interpreted as Ezra following the girls to Ravenswood because he's worried about Aria (or all of them) and then being mad at finding what a creepy lair "A" has. Or maybe he is "A" -- Cece was listening at his door last week, perhaps waiting for Aria to leave so she could talk to her puppet master?
- However, we would like to point out that ABC Family released several promos for the Halloween special with character names that contain "A" highlighted, so don't necessarily jump to that conclusion.
- Do you think Alison is still alive? We really don't know about this one. She obviously didn't die in that area of fresh dirt the night she disappeared, but then whose body did they find? If DNA indicated Alison, that could also be the body of her dead twin sister that we've never heard about but plenty of hints have been dropped for.
- Who do you think was the other Red Coat? Alison? Can't have been Shana or Mona, they were in Rosewood being watched by Toby. Probably not Jenna, since she's blind again. Melissa is supposedly in London ... all signs point to Alison, right?
- What questions are lingering out there? We know (or are reasonably sure) that Cece killed Wilden and that she is a Red Coat. But we still don't know how many others there are and what their identities are. We don't "really" know who "A" is. And we don't know who killed Ali. Does that about sum it up?
Love Aria setting up some possible Hanna-Travis romance for once Caleb's off in Ravenswood -- "He's really cute, and he's quite the dancer."
What did you think of the "Pretty Little Liars" Season 4 summer finale?