Prince Harry safe after deadly attack on Afghanistan military base

prince-harry-afghanistan.jpg Prince Harry, who just deployed to Afghanistan last week, was uninjured in a deadly Taliban attack on the Helmand province base where he is currently stationed.

Tragically, two U.S. marines were killed during what military officials describe as a "sustained attack" on the joint base, which comprises the American Camp Leatherneck and the British Camp Bastion.

At least three other troops were wounded by the attackers, who struck using rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and small-arms fire in the early hours of Saturday, Sept. 15 -- Prince Harry's 28th birthday.

The prince, third in line to the British throne, "was never in any danger" during the attack, military officials said.

But just days ago, a Taliban spokesman described their intention to kidnap or kill Queen Elizabeth's grandson, a captain in Britain's Army Air Corps and Apache helicopter pilot, in what they call their "Harry Operations."

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force plans to investigate whether the base attack was motivated by the young royal's posting, said an official.
Photo/Video credit: Getty Images