Lifetime is making a 'Saved by the Bell' backstage movie: Meet the cast
"The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story" will premiere Sept. 1 on Lifetime, Buzzfeed reports. It's based on interviews with cast and crew members of the show, which ran on Saturday mornings on NBC from 1989-93 and has had eternal life in syndication. Cast member Dustin Diamond's book "Behind the Bell," which claimed the cast dabbled in drugs and slept around with each other, isn't used as source material but apparently helped convince Lifetime there was a story worth dramatizing here.
Here are the six actors charged with playing the "SBTB" cast members:
- Dylan Everett ("Degrassi: The Next Generation," young Dean on a 2013 "Supernatural" episode) as Mark-Paul Gosselaar.
- Alyssa Lynch, a TV neophyte, as Tiffani-Amber Thiessen.
- Tiera Skovbye ("Painkiller Jane," "The Haunting Hour") as Elizabeth Berkley.
- Julian Works ("Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones") as Mario Lopez.
- Sam Kindseth ("Shameless") as Dustin Diamond.
- Taylor Russell McKenzie ("Emily Owens, M.D.") as Lark Voorhies.
Alas, there's no word on who might play Dennis "Mr. Belding" Haskins. Ron McGee ("Atomic Twister," "The Nine Lives of Chloe King") wrote the script, and Jason Lapeyre (Lifetime's "Restless Virgins") is directing.