Stephen Colbert on 'Late Show': 'I'm thrilled to be taking over' for David Letterman
It was announced by CBS earlier this month that when David Letterman retires from "Late Show" in 2015, Stephen Colbert of "The Colbert Report" will be his replacement. Tuesday (April 22), Colbert stopped by The Ed Sullivan Theater to talk about the forthcoming handing over of the reins and CBS has released a short preview clip of the interview.
"I'm going to do whatever you have done here. ... It seems to have gone pretty well, Dave. Obviously, I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled to be taking over for you," says Colbert.
Letterman cracks, "They could have easily have hired another boob like me," to which Colbert responds, "They hired a boob like me. Every boob is like a snowflake, Dave. We're all unique in our own way."
It turns out Colbert and his writing partner Paul Dinello, who works with Colbert still today, applied to write for Letterman's show back in 1997 (around Christmastime, which is important), so for the interview, Colbert brought along the Top Ten list they submitted 17 years ago, the Top Ten Cocktails to Leave Out for Santa:
10. The Rusty Blitzen -- one ounce scotch, one ounce Drambuie, twist of venison
9. Mama Said Nog You Out -- three fingers of egg nog, one finger of ether
8. Pa Rum Pa Pum Rum -- open can of fruit cocktail, add two ounces of rum, enjoy responsibly
7. Vodka giblet -- one part vodka, any part turkey organ
6. Scrooge Driver -- grain alcohol and regret
5. No Room at the Gin -- chill martini glass, fill with gin until there is no room for anything else
4. On Comet, On Cupid On Dasher, Wine Spritzer!
3. King of the Juice -- any available juice, any available liquor, wedge of matzo
2. Jack Frost -- equal parts Jack Daniels and snow (seasonal)
1. Silent Night Train
Watch video of the interview below.