'Supernatural' recap: Our five fave moments from 'Like a Virgin'
So here are our five fave things about tonight's episode. The comments section is open, so don't forget to let us know your favorite parts, too!
1. The hug! Never in the history of television has any character needed a hug more than Dean Winchester needed a hug, so we're glad that the brothers' tradition of hugging it out when (and only when) someone returns from the dead is still in place. Not to mention, it was sort of hilarious when Sam couldn't quite bring himself to hug Castiel. (We're sure Castiel understands. After all, he and Dean do have a more profound bond.)
2. "You know, it's comforting. I died for a year, came back, and you're still not funny." He's kinda funny. Sure, Sam has been soulless all season, but Dean hasn't really been himself, either. The doom and gloom that hung over his head while he was stuck with Terminator Sam is gone, and there's a considerable weight lifted off his shoulders - and it shows in the bad jokes and the ease of his laugh. Ackles is doing a fantastic job of showing the lighter side of Dean. (We particularly liked when he pocketed the gold.)
3. Speaking of the comedy... "Oh, son of a bitch, that's really on there." We cracked up while Dean was wrestling with the whole sword-from-the-stone bit. We're not quite sure why he wasn't deemed worthy of the sword (maybe because he hadn't told Sam the whole truth quite yet), but we're glad we got to see Ackles show off the physical comedy he's perfected over the last six seasons.
4. Honesty! Our favorite scene was definitely when Sam and Dean were finally honest with each other about the Year of RoboSam. Sure, it took a little help from Castiel, who (luckily) isn't the lying type, but we'll take what we can get. Our hearts broke for Sam when he apologized to Dean -- and when he decided that he needed to clean up the mess his soulless body made while he was trapped in the cage. Only the ever-self-sacrificing Winchester brothers would bother. "I kind of feel like I got slipped the worst mickey of all time and I woke up to find out that I burnt the whole city down. You can say it wasn't me, but I'm the one with the zippo in my pocket... I've got to fix what I've got to fix."
5. The Mother of All evil. Remember when the alpha vamp told Dean, "We all have our mothers"? Well, his mother takes the cake for pain-in-the-butt parents. The dragons used a virgin sacrifice to break the Mother of All out of Purgatory, and she's already one of the creepiest villains we've seen on this show... and we've only seen about six seconds of her. It looks like the Mother of All may be Sam and Dean's big contender this season... and who knows? Maybe into next Season, too.