'Supernatural's' Misha Collins breaks another record, encourages fans to run AMOK
For the second year in a row, Collins has broken the world record for organizing the world's largest scavenger hunt, GISHWHES (Greatest International Scavenger Hunt The World Has Ever Seen). 14,580 participants in 972 teams participated in 2012.
Collins sent us the list below of some of his favorite items from a previous scavenger hunt, so as you can see, the items tend toward the weird and wacky -- but there's certainly a benevolent spirit to the event. For example, on this year's list was a bedside puppet show performance for a child in the hospital.
That's in line with Collins' charitable organization Random Acts, which urges people to perform random acts of kindness in unexpected, creative ways. On March 10, fans can be part of AMOK, the Annual Melee Of Kindness. "It's a day when we encourage everybody to get out and get involved and maybe find a group of people and do an act of kindness," Collins told us when we visited him on the "Supernatural" set last month.
Collins himself will be participating from Las Vegas, where he's appearing at a fan convention. "I'm going to be involved in something in Las Vegas, where I'm going to happen to be that weekend. You don't want to know [my plans]. I'm not going to tell you," he jokes. "A ton of people were involved last year and it looks like even more people are going to be involved this year."
Participants can register through the form at therandomact.org and join Collins and countless others in performing a random act of kindness on March 10. There are even awards and prizes to be won!
As far as large-scale acts of kindness go, Collins and his team -- including some fans -- will be returning to Haiti this year for their third trip this summer, before he goes back to work on Season 9 of "Supernatural". This time, they'll see the ribbon-cutting of the Jacmel Children's Center, an orphanage that they funded and built.
"We're repeating the same formula again this year," he says. "We actually have built a very large, 12000 square foot orphanage down there that is really spectacular. Not to brag, but we are pretty awesome. I could not be more proud of it. It has so far exceeded my expectations. It's going to house a couple hundred kids, so this trip when we go back will be the Christening of that building. We're going to be there just as they're putting the finishing touches on it."
Misha's favorite items from the first GISHWHES:
26. A jumpsuit made from beer cozies. (Make it a men's large. I might ask you to send it to me when we're done because mine's threadbare.) (31 points)
60. Take out a small add in the Croatian daily morning paper, "Jutarnji list" that says, in English, "If you want your life to have meaning, you want GISHWHES in your life." (31 points)
65. 40 acres and a Yugo. (38 points)
100. A photo of someone proudly wearing a Prada handbag at an Occupy rally. (20 points)
104. A hooters waitress reading a copy of Betty Friedan's "The Feminine Mystique." (41 points)
113. An image of the text of an Emily Dickenson poem projected on the hull of a navy ship at night. The ship must be at least as big as a destroyer. (60 points)
114. A sculpture of a sea gull. Must be at least 2 feet high. Must be made entirely from (unused) tampons and sanitary napkins. (34 points)
123. An 80-year-old woman wearing earrings made from human molars. (80 points)
133. An ER doctor in an ER performing an emergency tracheotomy on a tickle-me-Elmo doll. (39 points)
143. Decrypt Kryptos Part 4. (37 points)
153. A functioning gasoline-powered turtleneck sweater. (35 points)
193. A 30-second stop-motion animated short of a Cabbage Patch Doll doing a strip tease. (36 points)
211. Fill hundreds of balloons with helium, tie them to a decorated Christmas tree and watch the tree float away. Tree must be a real pine tree (not faux) and must be at least 5 feet tall. The video must show the tree floating off and should be 40 seconds long. (217 points)
212. A 60-second, well-edited, compellingly shot TV commercial marketing Snake Oil for its palliative properties. Up to an additional 150 points for perfect execution of this item. (79 points)
218. Turn your worst nightmare into a delightful interactive children's website. (39 points)
216. Create a website that proves Creationists wrong. (14 points)