'Teen Wolf' Season 3: 10 things to expect from showrunner Jeff DavisAdd to Favorites | Teen Wolf
We can't give away too many spoilers, but we did grill Davis for every bit of information we could possibly squeeze out of him. He's almost finished breaking the story for the third season and will get together with his writing team very soon to begin work on the show. Season 3 isn't set to premiere until 2013, but hopefully these 10 tidbits will help tide you over until you can dig into the real thing.
1. Jackson's eyes are blue for a reason. When he changed into a werewolf, his eyes didn't turn yellow, like most wolves' do. They were a bright piercing blue for a very specific reason, and it's not just because Colton Haynes' eyes are so pretty that the special effects team couldn't bring themselves to change them.
By the way -- that special effects team had plenty of other work to do on Jackson's incredibly moving and incredibly naked transformation scene. "There were emails back-and-forth saying, 'Too much side-butt,'" Davis laughs. "The effects team was like 'How much smoke do you want?' and I said, 'I want just enough smoke so that I don't see the crack of his a**.'"
PICS: More of TV's supernatural creatures
2. Boyd (Sinqua Walls) and Erica (Gage Golightly) are alive when Season 3 begins -- but for how long? "The alphas are definitely going to factor in," Davis says. "What happens to Erica and Boyd will be answered in the first two episodes, and it's going to be very intense. They are alive but they are definitely not out of danger."
3. Don't expect to see Stiles (Dylan O'Brien) totally get over Lydia (Holland Roden) now that she's professed her epic, Kanima-curse-breaking love for Jackson. "He might have to step back a little and be a bit more of an observer, but things move very fast in the world of 'Teen Wolf,' so we'll see," Davis tells us. Those powerful moments between Stiles and Lydia will have lasting impact. In fact, the writers had originally intended for Erica to be Stiles' new love interest, but they course-corrected in favor of more Stiles/Lydia moments this season.
"We felt it out in terms of the story. We knew that we wanted the scene at the end of 11 where Stiles is on the field and Lydia is finally the one cheering for him," Davis tells us. "It felt like that was a better moment to build to than the possibility of Stiles and Erica. You start to see which actors have the best chemistry with each other, and we felt like Gage had more chemistry with other characters, including Sinqua, actually, so to see them holding hands in one of the last episodes felt more right to me."
4. Allison (Crystal Reed) is going to become a WWF wrestler! Just kidding. When Season 3 opens, Allison has isolated herself from her friends and Scott. For the first time, she's very much alone. "We've got such good ideas for next season for her, because I love telling redemption stories, so much. To me it all goes back to WWF wrestling, to be honest," explains Davis. "When the bad guys turn good and the good guys turn bad, you hate them one minute and then you love them the next, so it'll be interesting to see if she can win the audience back."
5. Dr. Deacon and Ms. Morell will be back in a big way. The veterinarian and his sexy guidance counselor sidekick are much more than meets the eye, and Davis tells us they'll be back with a vengeance "as long as those actors' deals close!" He keeps the details very vague though. "You'll get some answers about them. You'll get even more questions."
6. The Stiles and Scott (Tyler Posey) bromance has some competition. Davis actually directed the final scene of the season, where Stiles and Scott finally get to act like normal friends, tossing a lacrosse ball around. "One of the biggest romances of the show is the bromance, because they're so good together. They respect each other as friends and they're still supporting each other through all of their troubles," says Davis.
But Isaac (Daniel Sharman) may threaten that friendship a bit in Season 3. "Isaac is going to be a big part of next season," he confirms. "It's fun when we have chemistry that appears between actors, and Daniel has really good chemistry with Tyler Posey, so we're going to be exploring that, and there's going to be a struggle with Scott and Stiles, to see if their friendship can remain as strong."
7. The Alpha pack is in town on a mission, and it has to do with the Kanima. if you want to get a head start on your theories, go back pay close attention to the mentions of Kanima mythology throughout Season 2. "There is a good bit of mythology that was prepared in this season that will pay off in the third season," Davis teases. "I'm not going to say what it is exactly, but people will be able to look up a lot online going into next season." The mystery of who Jackson's real parents are will be part of the Alpha pack story.
8. You'll get answers to questions that you forgot you even had. "There are certain secrets in the first season and the second season that are going to be explained in the third season," Davis says. "One of the biggest ones is the very first scene of Season 2, where Jackson comes out of the water. We're going to explain what he was doing in the water. We do a lot of planning ahead, so it's nice to do the third season and know you're going to be able to come back and explain a few things."
9. Season 3 could have been very different! Davis tells us that an alternate ending to Season 2 was shot... in which Jackson died for real. "We did shoot it both ways, and not even Colton knew. I think Colton actually thought that I had edited it so that he died! I love happy endings myself, so I wanted the ability to decide in the editing room which way I liked it," he says. Ultimately, the writers wanted the chance to see a redeemed version of Jackson.
"We never even cut it to see how it played out if he died. I just loved the moment of him becoming a werewolf. It was what we'd built up to the whole season. We had the idea very early on -- actually, I had the idea in the pilot -- that there was going to be the redemption story. He cannot become a werewolf until he resolves his soul; until he earns it. The shape you take reflects the person you are, and he had to stop being a snake in order to be a wolf."
10. Scott may get a wolf promotion. When he told Derek ( Tyler Hoechlin) in the season finale, "You're not my Alpha," that was some serious foreshadowing. Earlier on in the season, Derek mentioned that Scott seemed to have developed his own pack, and that's a theme that will continue into Season 3. "We are definitely building to that," says Davis. "I think Scott's ultimate destiny will be to become an Alpha in his own right. We'll see how that plays out over Season 3."
P.S. See what Davis had to say about "Sterek" here.