'The Americans' Season finale preview: 5 reasons you absolutely must watch 'The Colonel'Add to Favorites | The Americans
But whatever "The Americans" has achieved throughout Season 1, it all pales in comparison to the incredible season finale, "The Colonel."
The basic plot for the finale tells you nothing of the edge-of-your-seat thrills and heartbreaking stories of the episode. In it, Philip and Elizabeth have to think about their relationship as they prepare for a meeting with a Colonel (guest star Victor Slezak) that might just be a setup. Meanwhile, Stan ( Noah Emmerich) inches closer to identifying his illegal Russian spies.
The tension merely builds from here. Because doing so would partially ruin this great episode of television, there is no way we can reveal any major spoilers for "The Colonel" here. Instead, here are five teasers to help convince you to watch.
- How do you know that the FBI has more information than they're telling? When a guy arrested for child support gets told -- by Stan Beeman, no less -- "You don't have to worry about your security clearance, Stanford," that's a dead giveaway.
- Philip (as Clark) has to make a very important decision with Martha. What is that decision? "Do you like wallpaper?"
- Elizabeth doesn't like eggs Florentine. Not when she's eating breakfast with Claudia (Margo Martindale) anyway. There is a chance, however, that Elizabeth should trust Claudia and her eggs more than she does.
- Arkady Ivanovich, the embassy's KGB Rezident, understands humanity far better than almost anyone on this show. His understanding is absolutely necessary for the events that unfold in "The Colonel."
- Before the episode ends, someone very close to Elizabeth and Philip begins to have active suspicions about their lives and lies.
"The Americans" Season 1 finale airs Wednesday, May 1 at 10pm on FX.