'The Big Bang Theory': Sheldon and Amy share a monumental Valentine's Day in 'The Locomotive Manipulation'
During Thursday's (Feb. 6) episode of "The Big Bang Theory," the series' early celebration of all things Valentine's, the gawky doc and his beleaguered girlfriend Amy ( Mayim Bialik) took a remarkable step forward when he finally, finally kissed her.
Sure, it was at the tail end of a date aboard a restored classic train that Sheldon ( Jim Parsons) epically ruined by ignoring Amy and bonding with a brain-damaged man obsessed with trains. And it came in the same episode where he referred to his long-suffering love as Princess Corncob, Fester and Gollum.
But it was a kiss! A real kiss. A long kiss. One that Sheldon initiated, however spitefully in the beginning, and seemed to genuinely enjoy. This is uncharted territory for a show that, seven season in, has been all about pushing its characters to the outer limits of their comfort zones.
Sheldon may have presented news of the kiss to Leonard ( Johnny Galecki) with the same enthusiasm used to discuss his new friend or the nine-fingered banjo-playing conductor, and may have not been able to pick a favorite of the three without collecting more data when prompted by his best friend, but his reaction in the moment spoke volumes.
It visibly seemed to have awoken something in him, leading him to invite Amy along with him on a return trip to the conductor's quarters -- something he probably wouldn't have considered even five minutes before.
The moment, which was more romantic than any moment between Sheldon and Amy has ever felt, opens the show to a wider range of possibilities for the couple -- and that's exciting for a show this late into its run. This kiss, and and what it all means, is just more proof that "The Big Bang Theory" is firing on all cylinders this season.
- A new love interest for Raj ( Kunal Nayyar)! The way that Tania Raymonde's vet responded positively to the nerdier aspects of his personality while still seeming normal herself is a good sign. The potential here, too, is exciting.
- Leonard gets Penny ( Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting) Lakers tickets for Valentine's Day. Her gift to him? A half-eaten box of chocolates that she got free with a full tank of gas.
- "In fact, if you want, we can do it right here on Sheldon's spot." - Leonard, reminding Penny they have the place to themselves.
"That is the least sexy thing anyone's ever said to me." - Penny
- Howard ( Simon Helberg) and Bernadette ( Melissa Rauch) don't get much to do during their double date with Amy and Sheldon besides console Amy, but Rauch continues to milk every second of screen time she gets for all its worth. She is such a gem.
- "Alright Gollum, we're good."