'The Big Bang Theory' snags Bob Newhart, 'The Sing-Off' returns to NBCAdd to Favorites | The Big Bang Theory
Bob Newhart will guest-star on an episode of the CBS hit scheduled for May 2. He'll play "Professor Proton," the former host of a science show Sheldon ( Jim Parsons) loved as a kid, TVLine reports. It turns out Leonard ( Johnny Galecki) also remembers him.
Sheldon learns that the Professor hires himself out for appearances and gets him to come to the guys' apartment.
More TV news and notes:
- NBC is resurrecting "The Sing-Off." The a cappella competition had a couple of fairly successful runs as a short-run show during the holidays but fizzled when the network made it a weekly series in 2011. The revived show will return to its original scheduling.
- David Anders ("Once Upon a Time") is joining John Stamos on USA's "Necessary Roughness" this summer. Anders will play the second-in-command at a talent agency run by Stamos that tries to court Dani ( Callie Thorne).
- Former "My Name Is Earl" star Nadine Velazquez is joining the cast of TNT's "Major Crimes." She plays a deputy district attorney assigned to the Phillip Stroh case who butts heads with Raydor ( Mary McDonnell). "Major Crimes" begins its second season on June 10.
- FOX has added a couple more projects to its roster of limited-run series in developments. One is a remake of the highly rated 1980s miniseries "Shogun," and the other is about the O.J. Simpson murder case, based on Jeffrey Toobin's book "The Run of His Life."
- "Doctor Who's" Karen Gillan will soon be back on your TV as part of Adult Swim's "NTSF:SD:SUV." Part of the new season will involve the team investigating the (fake) British District of San Diego -- and will film in the U.K.
- AMC has released a trailer for its new series "Low Winter Sun," starring Mark Strong ("Sherlock Holmes," "John Carter") and Lennie James ("The Walking Dead") as two Detroit cops involved in the murder of a fellow officer. It premieres in the summer. Take a look: