'The Sing Off' finale: Five things you didn't seeAdd to Favorites | The Sing-Off
1. Pentatonix are legit friends. Although you can tell from the Trevor Project package that the quintet has grown close and all the members are very supportive of one another, you missed the adorable group hug before the cameras turned on for the performance of "Without You."
2. What do the judges do during commercial breaks? Sara Barellies is an avid texter, while Shawn Stockman spent a few breaks chilling with an adorable little boy whom we're assuming is some sort of family member. (Son? Nephew? Either way, they hugged and it was cute.) Ben Folds just kinda hung out.
3. Sara Bareilles is a fan just like you. The "Gonna Get Over You" singer lost it during Pentatonix and Nick Lachey's rendition of 98 Degrees' seminal early 2000s classic "Give Me Just One Night (Una Noche)," and knew every single word to Ben Folds' "Not the Same" (which she also sang along to).
4. Homemade signs were not so homemade. Not to burst your TV magic bubble, but producers came around the audience about 15 minutes before the taping began and handed out "homemade" signs cheering for each of the three finalists to willing audience members. That's not to say all the cheerleaders were plants. Just some of them. And speaking of TV magic, Smokey Robinson and Afro Blue pre-taped their number beforehand -- only two takes required -- while the opening group number also went off without a hitch about five minutes before the show went live on the East Coast.
5. Crew members do some heavy lifting. Not only did the arrangements of the groups in the opera boxes change every commercial break, necessitating two men to hoist the signs with each group name onto the front of each box between acts, the crew members also had to remove the signs during the pre-taped packages before each performance. That's a lot of heavy lifting.
What did you think of the "Sing Off" finale? Stay tuned for more coverage, including interviews with Pentatonix, the Dartmouth Aires, all three judges and host Lachey.