'The Sound of Music Live' gets even bigger; Daniel Cosgrove joins 'Days of Our Lives'
- Daytime-drama veteran Daniel Cosgrove is heading to "Days of Our Lives." The former "All My Children" and "Guiding Light" star will join the NBC soap in January as a new character named Aiden. "This is the first time that I've ever played a daytime character that wasn't played by someone else," he says. [ Soap Opera Digest]
- "House of Lies" is adding even more guest stars to Season 3."Portlandia" star Fred Armisen will appear with Balthazar Getty ("Brothers and Sisters") in episodes. Armisen will play the owner of a meal-replacement company, while Getty portrays a hedge fund owner. Previously announced guest stars include T. I., Eliza Coupe, Jenny Slate and Mekhi Phifer. Season 3 premieres Jan. 12 on Showtime.
- The combination of Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake gave "Saturday Night Live" its best overnight ratings in almost two years. The Dec. 21 show drew a 6.3 rating/16 share among households in Nielsen's 56 metered markets and a 3.9 among adults 18-49. They're the best overnight numbers since the Jan. 7, 2012, episode, which had the benefit of airing on a night after an NFL playoff game.
- FOX has given the green light to a comedy pilot from "30 Rock" writer-producer Matt Hubbard, with his former bosses Tina Fey and Robert Carlock as executive producers and Pamela Fryman ("How I Met Your Mother") directing and serving as an EP. The show is set at a women's college that goes co-ed for the first time. The pilot order is something of a formality as FOX gave a big commitment to it earlier in the year. [ Deadline]
- In other FOX pilot news, the network has decided to drop its drama project "Wild Blue." The show, set aboard a Navy aircraft carrier, has been in development for some time but had trouble casting one of its lead roles and gaining access to a carrier for filming.