'The X Factor' premiere: Britney Spears steals the show
As a high schooler when she hit it big, we suppose we were in the wheelhouse for her music, but it never really did anything for us. Then she went on to be kind of a hot mess there for awhile. So we really weren't sure how this was going to go -- is she the new Paula? (And not old-school "Idol" Paula, but recent years, kind of cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs Paula.)
Instead, Britney turned out to be rather awesome. The best was the juxtaposition with her opening statement of, "It's really intimidating because having to sit there and be opinionated on people achieving their dreams is going to be really hard for me."
To a montage of her laying the smack down, which included these bon mots:
- "The singing came in and it wasn't very -- it wasn't very nice."
- "You need a new teacher to teach you how to sing."
- "I felt like I was listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks."
- "I think you're like Vanilla Ice meets Lauryn Hill meets 'West Side Story.'"
- "I think you're confused with your direction."
And our personal favorite -- "I want to know who let you on stage. I feel uncomfortable with you even staring at me."
It was kind of delightful. And her reunion with former duet partner Don Philip also showed a very emotional, vulnerable side. It actually made us feel so bad for her because that must have been really hard.
So our minds = changed. We're on board with Britney.
What did you think of the "X Factor" premiere?