'Torchwood' moves to Starz in 2011

john-barrowman-torchwood-320.jpgThanks in part to Starz, there will be another season of "Torchwood" both in this country and in the U.K. next year.

The cable channel announced Monday (June 7) that it's picked up the U.S. rights to the BBC series and will co-produce a new season of the show to premiere in 2011. Creator Russell T. Davies will return as executive producer and showrunner, and stars John Barrowman and Eve Myles will be back as well.

The show is migrating from BBC America, which aired previous "Torchwood" seasons and got solid ratings from the "Children of Earth" miniseries last year.

Starz promises a "more explosive and global story" for the new season, including possibly pushing the show's racier elements to the higher levels afforded by premium cable. At least that's how we read the portion of the press release that says the show will "take advantage of the unlimited narrative opportunities of a premium television service like Starz."

"We're committed to programming exceptional television that is entertaining, imaginative and provides a premium TV experience, and by any measure the new concept for 'Torchwood' fits that mandate," Starz president and CEO Chris Albrecht says.

The new "Torchwood" will premiere on both BBC One and Starz next summer.

Follow Zap2it and Zap2itRick on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest TV, movie and celebrity news.

Photo credit: BBC