'True Detective' starts well for HBO; Jane Kaczmarek is 'Playing House' for USA
- The series premiere of "True Detective" and the season premiere of "Girls" delivered solid ratings Sunday night (Jan. 12). "True Detective" delivered 2.3 million viewers for its premiere, which was HBO's best since "Boardwalk Empire" in 2010. ("Game of Thrones" debuted to 2.2 million people in 2011.) "Girls," meanwhile, brought in 1.1 million people for the first of its two episodes, a first-run high for the show. The second episode drew 881,000 people.
- Multiple Emmy nominee Jane Kaczmarek has joined the cast of USA's comedy pilot "Playing House." The former "Malcolm in the Middle" star will play the mother of Jessica St. Clair's character, who's going through a midlife awakening. [ Hollywood Reporter]
- HBO and Chronicles Books announced a new companion book for "Game of Thrones." Titled "Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 & 4," the follow up to the first behind-the-scenes book is slated for a fall 2014 release date. The book will reveal "a look at the creation of the show's award-winning visual effects, never-before-seen set photos and breathtaking production and costume designs, as well as in-depth examinations of key scenes and insight about the plot and production from the show's cast and crew." The book is written by Cat Taylor, who runs the Making Game of Thrones production blog.
- Showtime has picked up a fourth season of "Web Therapy." Season 4 of the show created by and starring Lisa Kudrow will have 10 episodes; a premiere date hasn't been determined yet. [ Hollywood Reporter]
- HBO and Atlantic Records have announced that "Girls" is getting its second soundtrack. "Girls Volume 2: All Adventurous Women Do...Music From The HBO Original Series" is available for pre-order on iTunes and will be released on Feb. 11. The CD will feature new music from Beck, Miguel, Lily Allen, Jenny Lewis and Christina Perri.
- NBC has given a pilot order to David Goyer's DC Comics project "Constantine." Based on the "Hellblazer" graphic novels, John Constantine is a man struggling with his faith as he is haunted by the sins of his past but is suddenly thrust into the role of defending humanity from the gathering forces of darkness. [ Variety]
- YouTube is launching its first daily program, "YouTube Nation," in partnership with DreamWorks Animation. The daily series, which will debut on Feb. 14 at 8 a.m. PT on the YouTube Spotlight page, will highlight content found on the video streaming platform. With Jacob Soboroff ("TakePart Live") as host, new episodes of the five-minute show will become available Monday through Friday at 6 p.m. PT. [ Hollywood Reporter]