Portia de Rossi heads to 'Sean Saves the World'
- One of Chatswin's finest is heading over to "The Crazy Ones." "Suburgatory's" Cheryl Hines has just landed a guest-starring role on an early 2014 episode of CBS' sitcom. Hines will play a single Jewish mother who wants her son to have the best bar mitzvah ever, but winds up making the celebration all about her. [ TVLine]
- "The Great Gatsby" director Baz Luhrmann and "The Shield" and "Last Resort" creator Shawn Ryan are teaming up for a TV project. It's a drama set in 1970s New York that chronicles the coming of age of two best friends and the birth of hip-hop. Luhrmann and Ryan have pitched the show to several outlets, with more to come and confidence for at least a pilot order pretty high. [ Vulture]
- Rob Corddry will star with Dwayne Johnson in the HBO comedy pilot "Ballers," about the lives of several active and retired pro athletes in Miami. Johnson is playing a former NFL All-Pro; Corddry will be his boss at the financial firm he joined following his playing days. [ Deadline]
- Machete comes to "NCIS: Los Angeles." A February sweeps episode will feature Danny Trejo in a story that takes the team down to Mexico. His character is described as having past ties to Hetty ( Linda Hunt), Sam ( LL Cool J) and Callen ( Chris O'Donnell). [ TVLine]
- President Obama will be sitting down with Steve Harvey for an interview on the actor's syndicated daytime talk show. The chat was taped on Dec. 13, and will air nationwide on Dec. 20. The interview covered "family, fatherhood and [the president's] plans for the holidays." [ Deadline]
- David Spade is developing a new comedy for HBO about a music manager struggling to stay relevant in the ever-changing music scene. If the show gets the green light, Spade would play the lead. [ Deadline]